The pub was purchased freehold in January 2015 and has now reopened after major renovations. We pride ourselves on providing a great village pub, with fantastic food and drink and first class service.
The Half Moon Inn has served the community of Newton Upon Derwent since 1743. Originally a single storey thatched roofed building it had taken on its present day guise by 1904, and underwent some refurbishment in the 1930’s. In the 1800’s inquests were conducted there and from 1852 the Newton Agricultural Shows were held in the grounds, ending the day with a wonderful village dinner with many toasts! Many landlords have come and gone, from Mr and Mrs Turner in the 1900’s to Mr Christmas during the war who settled in the village to take his wife and family from the bombing in Hull.
Newton Upon Derwent, so called as it lies above the Derwent goes back to around 1150, although it is thought that there may have been a Roman settlement here. The name Derwent is derived from the Old British word ‘derua’ meaning oak, and thus the name Newton Upon Derwent suggests ‘the new village above the river where the oaks grow’. The Derwent was important to the village with water transport bringing supplies. The water meadow that runs down to the river from the village is called The Mask.
THE NEWTON OWLS
Newton is special as it is a village that plays host to a number of barn owls who at dusk fly down the middle of the village, settling on gate posts and fences before flying home to their nests in the surrounding countryside.